The Math Mini-GSA (MathGSA) represents and serves
the interests of the mathematics graduate students at UCR.
In particular, we aim to build a sense of community
among the math grad students,
and we strive to help students navigate the
various aspects of being a graduate student at UCR
and a teaching assistant for the Mathematics Department.
If you’re trying to navigate some administrative
or bureaucratic or logistical aspect of the PhD program,
it’s easiest to reach out to Margarita first at
Or if you’d rather, any of the MathGSA officers are be willing to help too.
Christian Williams, President
James Alcala, Vice President
Jonathan Dugan, Treasurer
Mike Pierce, Secretary
Here’s a curated list of useful links and forms.
If any of the links here are broken, please inform the MathGSA Secretary.
Documents & Forms
UCR R’Grad – The list of online Grad Division Petitions. As examples, here you can find the forms to nominate your oral exam committee, file for your Masters or PhD, request a leave of absence, or request a directed studies (Math-290) course.
Main Goals – We need to advocate for space. Complain to the GSA about it. Where do we even hold office hours? There was some consultant that was hired years ago to reassess the space on campus, and that's why things suck.
Department Camping Trip – James will take care of it over the summer. He'll decide a place, and talk to Outdoor Excursions about getting equipment and if they have a place available.
Department Co-Op – We really need to just get stuff from the outgoing grad students to give to the incoming grad students.
Slack – We'll take care of it and send out an announcement email.
Undergraduate Community – The department is setting up a listserv that the undergrads can (should) subscribe to. And, though there is no solution to this, a major barrier to the sense of community among the undergrads is that the math classes aren't inside of the math department building.
Sustainability – Christian is going to ask the GSA for spork money.
Calendar – All the graduate students were officially added and invited to the calendar. It’s only R’Mail public. A warning though, changes you make are visible and apply to all users, so, like, people shouldn’t delete stuff. And we’ll start putting deadlines for GSA funding.
Welcome First-Years – We’re going to send a giant orientation email to the incoming first-year students. We’ll send them a link to the Discord, give them access to Zoom, tell them about an organized camping trip.
Main GSA Update/Money – Applications for the University Certificate Program are open again. Apparently the main GSA has a bunch of money that we should try to get.
Sustainability – We’re should get a bunch of Math Department communal mugs! And maybe try to get new coffee supplies and a coffee maker.
Mental Health – We’re talking about promoting mental health in the department by building a sense of community and adding events to the calendar.
Connect with Undergraduates – We have no way to contact them collectively. And they don’t have a place to meet. And overall there is very little connection between the undergraduates and the activities of the Mathematics Department. Like, there are like 700 math undergrads, and the grad students know so few of them. There’s a lot of things that could be addressed here, but the first thing is that we need a way to contact them, and Margarita is going to do some research into how we can open up communication.
Moving Office Logistics – Margarita is going to streamline this.
Main GSA Update – UCR is starting a Long-Range Development Program (LRDP). There’s a "Grad Students of Color" mixer on April 16th. There’s an update on the Conference Travel Grants webpage; evidently there’s a bug where a student can have only one open application at a time. Grad Bash is April 23rd in the HUB. Earth Week is coming up!
Recreational Activities & Community Building – If we do some campus things, we should ensure that they are REGULARLY scheduled, and not impromptu. And we should include VAPs and faculty. We’re going to make a Google Calendar to organize social events. James is on this, details will be posted. Once James makes it. In addition, we’re trying to build a strong sense of community amongst the first-years right off the bat to encourage them to be social and to stay in the program. We had a meeting towards the end of last quarter, and at the very least we’re going to get graduate students the means to reach out to the incoming first-years before the start of the fall quarter.
Sustainability – We’ve decide to be more proactive about enforcing more sustainable practices. Buy compostable plates/bowls, in event emails encourage grad students to bring their own, and encourage the Math Department to follow suit.
Incoming First-Year Welcome Package – We’re (someone?) is going to put together a welcome package for the incoming first-years.
GSA DIAL – The GSA Diversity and Inclusion Academic Liason works with the CARE office.
Elections – By unanimous vote, we have new GSA officers! Christian Williams is President, James Alcala is Vice President, Jonathan Dugan is Treasurer, and Mike Pierce is the Secretary.
AMP – The Advanced Mathematics Program is running for Summer Session A, and everyone should consider applying to be a primary instructor for a couple of weeks.
UCPath – Since UCPath will be shutdown for a couple of weeks in March, everyone should download their tax documents now. And if anyone sees issues and doesn’t get paid, go on the main GSA website, or talk to literally anyone because there are avenues to fix this.
MathConnections – We should definitely apply for NSF funding for this conference in the future! We’ve still gotta get a plenary speaker, and set a date.
Retention of Women – Evidently the GSA officers are meeting with faculty sometime next week.
Announcements – Lego Grad Student is speaking 31Jan2019 in HUB 302, 6-7pm. Career Pathways Meetings 8Feb2019. Grad Bash at the Getaway will be 20Feb2019.
GSA DIAL – The GSA Diversity Inclusion Academic Liason couldn’t come this meeting, but will come speak next meeting.
Elections – Elections will be held next meeting. We need to send out a mass email to solicit nominations because three of the officers are planning to graduate.
Retention of Women in the Program – We’re going to get a committee together with the AWM to gather some data on retention of women in the department (because not a lot can be done on just speculation alone).
Recycling – The UCR Office of Sustainability is getting up and running again (sorta). In the meantime, since the Math Department goes through Expo markers very quickly, we discussed plans to get bins to collect those. We’re also concerned with the waste created from plastic eating utensils at department functions where food is served, but we don’t see any solution to that issue.
MathConnections – The topic will be category theory. We need to find invited to speakers, so that we can set a date. As soon as Ethan does that, we should have another meeting specifically about MathConnections.
MathConnections – A topic needs to be chosen. Ethan is going to make a Google Doc to brainstorm and accept suggestions. We need to consider who we want to invite as the plenary speaker. There will be a specific meeting about the MathConnections Conference on November 5, probably also at 11am.
MAA Sectional Meeting – Anyone interested in carpooling should email Tim.
The Union – There will be a union meeting at the Getaway Cafe on Wednesday the 24th, 5:30–7:30pm.
UCR Math Electives – The Math Department doesn’t offer particularly many electives in applied mathematics. Someone should find out who to speak to about this.
Discord Channel – Communication among the graduate students is rather clunky, having to go through a mail server. Christian is now in charge of setting up a Discord channel for the graduate students to communicate.
Website Links – We are taking suggestions for useful links that should be posted on this site, and any documents that should be hosted here as well. Send any suggestions you have to Mike.
Halloween – Party at Mike and Ethan and Derek’s house, Friday the 26th at dusk!